7.09.2002

I don't know you if you've been hearing about it where you are, but Manila has been assaulted by typhoon rains for the last couple of weeks. Streets are flooded, people are travelling by boat and rafts made of styrofoam blocks, and at least 18 people have died. Here in Davao, the skies have been clear every day. The weather patterns here are just odd. But I certainly won't complain.

Life here so far has been about dance and seeing old friends. No wanderings outside the city yet except the day at the beach, but I'm getting a little antsy. I think a diving day must happen this weekend at the minimum. Doesn't help that my friend Jerome is out training every day for an adventure race this weekend in Marbel. He's a crazy man that I can't keep up with -- out mountain biking or running every day either at 6 a.m. or at 4 p.m. to grab 2 hours or so of daylight with a minimum of heat.

Did I tell you that the sun rises at 6 a.m. and sets at 6 p.m. every day all year long? This equator stuff is nutty... of course, it's very confusing to the people here when I explain our daylight savings time and shifting sunset times etc.

My dancing is getting better. I'm working on the tango a bunch. Had a private with a really great teacher out of Manila.

Davao is in an interesting spot right now. Mayor Duterte (see the article about him in Time from June) has done an impressive job making the city safe. Two months ago, he also imposed a new "smoking control law", and for the first time, there are non-smoking areas in restaurants, and some places where no smoking is allowed at all. The airport is also finally expanding its runways to handle larger planes so it can be truly international. A growth spurt is on the way. I hope the economic recovery is soon.

I'm getting distracted now with the love songs playing on the computer next to me doing battle with the sounds of Age of Empires or some other computer game. Besides, I think it's high time I get myself out to the poolside to deepen this tan...

Oh, in case you haven't see it, here's some info about my family's hotel and about Davao in general... come visit!

No comments: