4.09.2006

What am I putting out there?

Two incidents from the last 2 weeks:

1) On my way into Cafe Trieste to grab an Africano before jumping into another 16-hour editing day, I walked past two young black men waiting at the bus stop. They were both wearing full hip-hop garb replete with bling. One of them smiled at me and complimented me on my nose ring. He said a couple things that made me laugh. He then went on to cruise me, following me into the cafe & waiting in line behind me, chatting me up. I wasn't smitten, but it didn't feel rude. After a while, he asked for my number and I told him that I just wasn't in that space. He said, "Oh, ok." Then he paused a moment and asked, "Hey, do you have a dollar for the bus?"

2) I was walking in Berkeley when a minivan pulled over a little way ahead of me. As I passed by, the guy driving rolled down the passenger window and called out. I figured he was looking for directions, so I looked in and greeted him. He said, "I wonder if you can help me. I'm looking for a girlfriend and thought you could have dinner with me?"

I mean, yes, I'm starting to feel like it might be ok to date again sometime in my future, but I don't think I'm sending out the right vibe...

No comments: