10.10.2007

remarkable

Remarkable is a word which I really should use more often. There are times when I say "awesome" or "incredible" when really all I mean is that the item is worthy of noting, that it deserves a remark, not that it really is particularly great or terrible or truly deserving of anything approaching a superlative. It is, quite simply, remarkable.

I was reminded of this word by a friend just a few nights ago and I have not forgotten it. I was struck both by the pure appropriateness of that word choice, as well as by the familiar feeling that I know so many more appropriate and specific words than I utilize. I believe it is time to reinvigorate my verbalized vocabulary.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

you inspire me, my dear... I too have need of reinvigoration of speaking habits! I find myself saying things like "cool", "great" and "awesome" far too often. Maybe we need to start a word-swap tribe? Or you can join me in "lexical elitists"! :)