10.02.2002

OK. I've taken on a new project. (I know you're not surprised). I'm now not only able to capitalize on my 12 years of HIV prevention experience/thinking, but I'm also using my past 2 years of organizational development and capacity building training. I had no idea how much I was going to learn when I agreed to be a lead consultant for an HIV agency for 3 years. I knew that I didn't know what I needed to know. I knew that I needed support to make it possible. And I knew that I was going to be able to learn it all but needed to do that as quickly as possible. CompassPoint has been an amazing support for me, allowing me to learn on the job in a really intense situation. I'm still way behind on my reading about management strategies, effective communications, cross-cultural strategies, board development, etc.

So I'm now trying to figure out what HIV agencies need (1) to be effective when implementing a prevention for positives program, (2) to remain stable and in business if there's a major funding cut, and (3) to avoid significant leadership and staffing turnovers. Each of these will be distributed kind-of widely. Like throughout California. So I'm feeling excited and nervous and like my brain is definitely firing all neurons at once. It's a massive electrical storm up there.

No comments: